We are holding our annual WCBA YLD food drive a little early this year to help the Food Bank of Central and Eastern NC provide food for kids who are home from school for the summer or learning virtually due to COVID-19 through their “Grab & Go Meals for Kids During COVID-19” and “Summer Hunger Started Early” programs.
There is a virtual food drive where anyone can donate funds to go toward these programs.
The physical food drive will be held from Monday, August 10 until Friday, August 14 at 5 p.m.
Additionally, there will be two shifts for in-person volunteers at the Food Bank of Central and Eastern NC (1924 Capital Boulevard) on Friday, August 14 from 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4 p.m. We’d love to see some YLD volunteers, but anyone is welcome (clerks and non-YLD lawyers). You have to bring a mask to wear during your shift!
Physical donations can be dropped off at the Food Bank of Central and Eastern NC (1924 Capital Boulevard) on August 14, preferably between 9 a.m. and noon. For some bigger loads of donations, we can accommodate pick-up that day or drop off earlier in the week—just reach out to us in advance to set that up. The most needed items right now are:
- Canned Fruits, Vegetables, Meat, and Soup (Pop-top cans and low sodium a plus!)
- Whole Grain Pasta, Brown Rice, Dried Beans, and Cereal
- Peanut Butter, and other nut butters
- For Infants: Pedialyte, Infant Cereal, Powdered Formula, Diapers, and Wipes
- For Kids: Fruit Cups, Juice Boxes, Granola Bars, Crackers, Popcorn and Sugar-Free Pudding Cups
- Non-Food Essentials: Hygiene Items, Household Items, and Paper Products
Please reach out to YLD Public Service Committee co-chairs Carly Baker (firstname.lastname@example.org) and/or Amanda Hawkins (email@example.com) to sign up for an in-person volunteer shift on August 14, to schedule a pick-up or drop-off of physical donations, or to ask any questions. Thank you all for your support!